When I first heard of “nice cream” I thought it was clearly a mistake…of course they meant “ice cream” right? Mind.Blown. Now, nice cream is a go-to staple for me for a refreshing, protein-packed healthy breakfast, afternoon snack, or even a dessert!
I was intrigued by this nice cream discovery that I set off to make my own version of this little concoction to see what all the hoopla was about. And OMG…it’s delightful!
The cold and creamy texture made primarily with frozen fruit and yogurt mimics ice cream but in a healthy way that you can make as nutrient dense as you want.
I’m big on infusing some healthy protein where I can and that’s one of my fave things about this recipe. The base consists of yogurt, frozen fruit, a pinch of salt, a dab of vanilla, and a touch of milk. It’s really as simple as throwing these ingredients into a food processor and adding your favorite toppings.
Make it clean and nutrient dense:
To make sure this nice cream recipe specifically makes the clean eating checklist, use all organic, unsweetened ingredients. You don’t need the extra sugar anyway because it tastes delightful on its own!
I use a non-fat Greek yogurt because it has a whipped texture to it or a non-dairy coconut yogurt as an alternative.
My secret ingredient is a little bit of vanilla extract to add depth and character.
Milk is not required but it just makes the food processing a little more smooth. Not too much or the turnout will be too liquid-y. Feel free to use your milk of choice but I highly recommend unsweetened, unflavored hemp milk.
1) The fat in hemp milk is made up of unsaturated essential fatty acids included omega 6 and omega 3—our omega friends build new tissue and membranes in the body.
2) It’s a plant-protein that’s easy to digest and contains all essential amino acids—in other words, it’s considered “a complete protein.”
3) It’s free of soy, lactose, and gluten so for folks who want to avoid those pesky ingredients, hemp milk works.
So for the toppings…switch it up and make it pretty
One of the things I love about this delightful dish is it’s fun because I use a cute bowl and spoon made from actual coconuts from Coconut Bowls. Switching out different toppings, using different fruit in the base, and making it pretty to look at give me some kind of satisfaction. I legit feel happy when I sit down to eat my pretty little nice cream bowl of flavor.
Here’s some of the different ingredients I trade out depending on what I have at that time and what I feel like:
- hemp or pumpkin seeds
- bee pollen
- sliced almonds
- sliced strawberries
- shredded coconut flakes (toast these for extra flavor just like in my protein bites recipe)
So without further ado, here’s my easy, fuss-free, nice cream recipe…
Banana Mango Nice Cream
- 1 C organic Greek or coconut yogurt
- 1 C frozen mango chunks + 1/2 banana sliced
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt or Sea Salt
- 2 T hemp milk
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: Pick 2-3
- 1 T honey
- 1 T bee pollen
- 2 T sliced almonds
- 1/4 C granola
- 1/4 C berries
- 1 T hemp seeds
- 1 t cinnamon
- Combine frozen fruit, yogurt, salt, and vanilla extract in a food processor. Pulse until the texture is creamy and sorbet-like.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and pour the mixture into your serving bowl.
- Pick your toppings and place each in it's own section. Have fun with it!